Sela Pass, located in the Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh, is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful mountain passes in India. At an altitude of 4,170 meters (13,700 feet) above sea level, Sela Pass is the main route that connects Tawang to the rest of the world. The pass is a popular destination among tourists and adventure enthusiasts, offering panoramic views of the snow-clad Himalayas, glacial lakes, and scenic valleys.
If you’re planning to visit Sela Pass, here’s all you need to know before you go:
Best time to visit Sela Pass:
The best time to visit Sela Pass is from May to October when the weather is relatively mild and the skies are clear. During this time, the pass is open for vehicular traffic and tourists can enjoy the scenic beauty of the place without worrying about harsh weather conditions.
How to reach Sela Pass:
The nearest airport to Sela Pass is Tezpur airport, which is about 320 kilometers away. From the airport, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Tawang, from where Sela Pass is just 78 kilometers away.
Another option is to take a train to Guwahati railway station, which is around 480 kilometers from Sela Pass. From Guwahati, one can take a bus or taxi to reach Tawang and then proceed to Sela Pass.
Things to do at Sela Pass:
- Visit the Sela Lake: The Sela Lake, located at an altitude of 4,170 meters, is a beautiful glacial lake that is a must-visit attraction in Sela Pass. The lake is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and is home to various species of birds.
- Trekking: Sela Pass offers numerous trekking trails that are perfect for adventure enthusiasts. The most popular trek is the one that takes you from Tawang to Sela Pass.
- Enjoy the Scenic Beauty: Sela Pass is known for its breathtakingly beautiful views of the Himalayas, glacial lakes, and scenic valleys. Visitors can enjoy the panoramic views by taking a leisurely stroll or simply sitting and admiring the beauty of the place.
- Visit the Sela Monastery: The Sela Monastery, located near Sela Pass, is a beautiful Buddhist monastery that is over 1000 years old. The monastery is a popular tourist attraction and is known for its beautiful architecture and peaceful surroundings.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Sela Pass:
- Weather conditions can change rapidly, so it is advisable to carry warm clothes and rain gear.
- Visitors are advised to acclimatize themselves to the high altitude before venturing out into the open.
- The area is located in a sensitive border region, so it is essential to carry all necessary documents, permits, and identification cards.
- Sela Pass is located in a remote area, and there are very few facilities available. Visitors are advised to carry their own food, water, and other essential items.
In conclusion, Sela Pass is a beautiful destination that offers stunning views of the Himalayas, glacial lakes, and scenic valleys. It is an ideal destination for adventure enthusiasts and nature lovers. However, visitors must keep in mind the weather conditions, high altitude, and sensitive border area while planning their trip. With proper preparation and precautions, a visit to Sela Pass is sure to be an unforgettable experience.